Thursday, January 21, 2010

How do cockatoos get their nails trimmed? Can I do it myself and what would I use to do it with?

I agree - don't try this by yourself. I also don't recommend just going to any old petstore and ask, unless they are an experienced trimmer on staff. And even they may not be entirely forthcoming, because it's their business to do this. I would however, take your bird to the vet for a trim and tell him/her that you want to learn to do this yourself and they will teach you. Once you learn you can use any of the specialty scissors they have for this on the market, but I found on my large macaw's thick toes a regular toe nail clipper works best.How do cockatoos get their nails trimmed? Can I do it myself and what would I use to do it with?
They sell special parrot clippers for nails and wings. I have an Umbrella but i take him to the vet for them to do it. I feel much safer having a professional do it even though anyone can make mistakes. If the nails are cut to short, the bird can bleed , sometimes bad. I would recommend taking it to a vet or even some pet stores do it. Plus i found with my quaker, if i clip his nails or wings, he hates me for a few days after wards, at least if someone else does it, you will be kinda like his savior.How do cockatoos get their nails trimmed? Can I do it myself and what would I use to do it with?
Vet is your best bet. They can bleed to death if you screw it up by cutting to short.
On a perch with sandpaper, or broken glass.





More soldiers have died in Iraq than the number of people killed in the World Trade Center.





Someone needs to speak up.
Seems like you have never done this before. so for you.


DO NOT try and clip your birds toenails.


You will CLIP THEM TOO SHORT AND THAT WILL BE VERY DANGEROUS FOR YOUR BIRD.


You will clip the vein and they will start bleeding!


Go to the Petshop like PETSMART and ask them about clipping your birds toenails.
take your bird to someone who knows what they are doing. Let them get the nails trimmed then put sand paper (you can purchase it at the pet store) tubes on the climbing limbs in his cage. They will keep their nails reasonably trimmed by scratching on it.
You would be better off to let someone who knows what they are doing like at bird place because you don't want to cut them too short. Another reason is if you let them do it you wont be the Villon the bad person to your bird.I take my bird to someone who is qualified and it freaks him out. The first time he had it done it freaked me out to see how unhappy he was. You would of thought they were cutting off his whole foot. So your bird will be mad at them and not you. Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment