Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is this true? nailing brass or copper nails into the bottom of a tree will kill it? someone just told me this?

because i got a big tree in my garden my freind said if i do this it would kill it.





i dont want to get rid of it i like it i was just wondering if it was true?Is this true? nailing brass or copper nails into the bottom of a tree will kill it? someone just told me this?
It depend on the size of the tree and the size of the nail. I would say no if it is a large tree. I have found bullets in timber which are Lead and you don't get more toxic than that. Years ago on a tree felling course in Norfolk they have a cross section of a tree with a rifle in the middle where the suckers have grown around it and totally encased it in wood.Is this true? nailing brass or copper nails into the bottom of a tree will kill it? someone just told me this?
Yes it will,given enough time and copper.It's so successful at killing,a copper strip nailed to the ridge on a tile roofed house will never grow moss or lichen,and as a consequence always looks new.And if you've ever been up on a municipal building roof,like a library that's sheeted with copper,you'd know nothing grows there.The even patina of green isn't organic,it's oxidisation.I have used the solution myself on an elder that just would not die.10 copper nails and a couple of years and out it came.And Elders are notoriously difficult to kill.
Never heard that one, but thinking about it Copper nails may have an effect but I doubt Brass ones would.
i don't think so.
You're thinking of humans.
A 6inch copper nail will kill any tree over time.


yes it's true.
Yes but it takes time.
no it will not work, try drill into base and filling hole with weed killer

No comments:

Post a Comment